Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/10/12

DISTEMPER

I got a 6 monht old puppy from a shelter. She was vaccinated against Distemper before I took her but I am worried that she was carrying the virus and exposed my ohter dogs?!

The dog that plays with her now has a white/yellow sticky discharge in her one eye which keeps on during the day. No other symptoms. Eats, drinks water, active etc. Puppy is also looking ok - very active, eats like a horse BUT she did have a runny tummy with some bloody mucus in it - is is firming up now and still just a little bit of mucus with blood traces in it, nothing major.

My other dogs are from the same shelter, so surely they must have been exposed to distemper? And they get their annual shots - must I worry?

Dear

Not to worry if they have been vaccinated

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/10/13

Dear

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2009/10/12

No - don' t worry. Specially not if all your dogs are shelter dogs - they will almost inevitably have been exposed to the infection at some stage, and will be immune.

Clean that eye a few times a day with cooled boiled water on a bit of cotton wool, and if it doesn' t clear up in a day or two, get some eye ointment from the vet.

Reply to Chill