Question
Posted by: Yolandi | 2010/04/15

Disruptive children

Hi, I am a dance teacher with a slight problem: I have 7 year-old twins in one of my classes who are very disruptive and it affects what limited time I have to teach my other students. According to their school teachers, this is their usual behaviour.

Is there a recommended course of action I can take to enforce discipline without resorting to violence (just a joke). I have tried ignoring them, asking politely and sending them out (when one is sent out, the other one will ask if she can go too). They will calm down for a while, but the peace is usually short-lived. Sometimes ikt seems like they have split-personalities. It also seems, after talking to the parents, that there is very little in the way of discipline at home, corporal or otherwise.

Where ( and it sounds like this may be the case ) you have kids whose parents have been too mean to give them the gift of discipline, and who have been inadvertently trained to thrive on being disruptive, its not really practical to change such bad behaviour within the short time-scale of a class, when it is probably reinforced so strongly at home. Maybe you could have a word with the mother, reminding her that they are disruptive in your classes and at school, limiting how much they can learn and reducing the enjoyment of others, too. Remind her that without a proper code o discipline at home, these kids are almost certain to run into bigger and bigger problems in life. If she can aford dance lessons, she can afford to take them to see a child psychologist, and learn with expert help how to teach them the discipline and simple manners that they so greatly need.

3
Posted by: S | 2010/04/16

Hi. Have you considered offering ''private lessons'' for the dancers? or what about dividing the class into 2 at a different time and separating the twins.

Reply to S
Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/16

When one misbehaves, sit them to the side of the room so that they can see what they are missing out on.
If the other asks to go with, say no. If she misbehaves, send her to another part of the room.

When they are behaving well, praise them.

They are ruining things for everyone else in the class though, so tell the parents that if their behaviour hasn''t improved by the end of this term, they need to remove them from the class as its not fair on everyone else.
You are going to start losing children from your class if their parents feel that these two brats are taking all your attention and their children are getting none.

Its not corporal punishment needed in a home to bring good behaviour it is fair rules and consistent follow up and not shielding children from the consequences of their actions (if they break their toy - don''t buy another one). The parents won''t take to it well, but you might like to suggest that they visit a psychologist for some discipline advice.

Reply to Purple