Question
Posted by: chris | 2010-05-07

dispose of dialysis bags

My friend has got kidney failure and needs to do home dialysis. The centre told him to dispose of the used dialysis bags as he would dispose his normal household waste. Is this safe as it will end up on a landfil? Shouldnt this dialysis bags be incinerated? I do not want him to get into trouble. Please help?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

If the dialysis centre gave him those instructions for disposal then it's fine for him to do that. Used dialysis bags do count as medical waste, but this can only be incinerated or otherwise disposed of at specific waste disposal centres registered to do so. I will make some further enquiries over the next few days about this however.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010-05-10

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert