Question
Posted by: darry | 2012-05-14

displaced metacarpal

so i practice martial arts, and in training, I was sparring, mis-stepped as i was about to land a right hook, missed my oponent, and i punched the edge of a wall extremely hard. it was only my pinky knuckle that made contact, but after a week, it seems that my metacarpal bone might be slightly displaced or fractured, and there is still a high level of inflammation. I realise that i will have to see a doctor to sort this out.. but im trying to find the least expensive option.... first off, how much do x-rays cost? secondly, is there any way of going straight for the x-ray before seeing a GP? i dont want to waste an entire consultation fee when i know he is just going to tell me to get an x-ray... id rather get that first, then visit a gp with x-rays in-hand...any advice? also, i am trying to put this off till pay-day... is waiting this long dangerous? i love in jhb north

Darry

Unfortunately, you will have to get a referral from a doctor to have x-rays done. It is however, possible that a x-ray is not necessary and that the injury can be treated with hot and cold compress, rest and Myprodol capsules. If the treatment does not work and you are still in excrutiating pain and is unable to use your hand, you will have to consult your doctor.

1
Posted by: Darry | 2012-05-17

Thanks doc.. helped alot!

Reply to Darry