Posted by: Trace | 2009-03-20

Dismissal due to gross negligence

Good day, assistance please in dismissing our maid who worked once a week for approx 5-6 hours and was paid R115 per day. Worked for us for about 5 years. Over time she just became lazy and would not do what we asked and would come in late and leave early doing the bare minimum. This week she flooded our house by leaving the vacuum cleaner in the bath blocking the hole (don' t ask me why). There were problems with the water and no water was coming out the taps. When she left she was asked had she turned off all the taps to which she replied yes but she had not. We are in the process of claiming from insurance to replace all our wooden flooring. Our whole house was flooded. Do I need to write her a letter explaining all the things we asked her to do which she did not do and the fact she was grossly negligent. Or can I just verbally dismiss her? Many thanks

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You can dismiss due to gross negligence. You can't verbally dismiss, it must be done at a disciplinary hearing.

Posted by: boo | 2009-03-20

Don' t verbally dismiss! That kind of thing makes you end up at the CCMA! You have to allow her to present her side of the case, preferably in a disciplinary hearing...

Reply to boo