Posted by: Jonty | 2009-03-30

dislocated right shoulder

I dislocated my shoulder in January while putting down a heavy box at work.I had it put back at its place but I from then on could not carry a heavy object without getting a sharp pain in my underarm.Then again in March I dislocated my shoulderv again in a scuffle with would be robbers.I got it fixed again but this time whenever I raise my right arm high I get the pain in my underarm as if the shoulder blade is not moving how it should.I went back to the doctor and he reffered me to another doctor who deals specially with bones,but he did mention that if there is anything that is torn they may have to operateI am scared of this what if I am going to be like this for ever,or am going to lose my job because of it.How best can I deal with these.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Jonty,

the one problem you may have after the dislocation if what we refer to as "recurrent instability" - after tearing the ligaments of the shouder during the first dislocation the shoulder may repeatedly dislocate. With the fact that you are having the problem of not being able to raise the arm one should also exclude a tear of the rotator cuff tendon of the shoulder. You should not lose your job- we often treat professional rugby players with shoulder dislocations and they all return to the same level of rugby which indicates that after the correct treatment by a doctor who knows about shoulder problems you should end with a normal shoulder