Question
Posted by: ANON | 2010-10-13

disintegration anxiety

Hi CS.

My apologies.

The question should have been disintegration ANXIETY not disorder (been burning the midnight oil and studying disorders et al). I was referring what Kohut calls the state of disintegration/fragmentation anxiety. Often experienced in psychosis or when encountering significant trauma? Could this underpin some of the recognised personality disorders or some of the more pathalogical defence mechanisms such as dissociation?

Regards ANON

Ah. OK. Don't disintegrate.
The "disorder" is a small-print candidate diagnosis. I once met Kohut but found him remote and unfriendly, and we did not discuss this point. Remember that what you are now referring to is a THEORY ( without scientific proof to back it up ) within a tight set of theories and arguments Kohut and the Kohutians have devised within their very particular form of practice with their very particular range of clients. I have known most of the major figures working with genuinely severely traumaized people, and Kohutians were not among them. They are generally positing a more theoretical variety of trauma to have occurred some time in the past, to explain a rather later situation in the individuals they are treating. It is not something those of us working with acute survivors of massive psychological trauma recognize in the same way. It is not something really complained of by people in acute psychosis, either, but again something theoretically assumed to occur in some psychoses.
If you recognize Dissociation, in itself, does there need to be something else lurking behind it ?

1

Ah. OK. Don't disintegrate.