Question
Posted by: psychology student | 2010/10/13

disintegration anxiety

Hi CS.

What is disintegration disorder and do we all experience it to a lesser or greater degree. When does it become pathalogical? How is it related to trauma?

Thanks CS

There is ABSOLUTELY no such recognized disorder as "disintegration disorder", and it has nothing to do with trauma. Anyone can invent and name a "disorder", but until they can persuade the expert community at large that this is a valid and useful concept, it has no official existence, and nobody should burden students with any expectation to "know" about such amateur inventions.
There has been some publicity for an as yet not fully accepted " Childhood disintegration disorder" also called Heller Syndrome, as a developmental disorder characterized by a loss of thinking, communication, and language skills, but I am not yet convinced. If it is a developmental disorder, it is a failure to develop properly or fully in the first place, in which, aftwer some apparently normal development, there is a loss of some critically important functions, and it is not caused by trauma. The cause is unknown.
Broadly, I think there are a number of finely distinguishable variants of major developmental anomalies that used to be recognized as a broad category, such as Autism, and now some people are carefully dividing them up, like stamp collectors, naming each rare shred - so far, unless one discovers a different prognosis, or cause, or treatment, it's of entirely academic interest, and about as useful as collecting the license plate numbers of passing buses.

1