Posted by: Office cow | 2009-01-16

This is a common problem and I know it seems trivial but I need to know what I can do to handle this.

I am under alot of pressure at work - I am a supervisor in my department and the whole of last year I was labelled a real....cow (to put it politely) when I had to discipline my employees. I take my work seriously and I expect others to do the same, but this year I promised myself I would be a bit less strict and try not to let things get to me.

There is someone under my supervision and no matter how nice I try to be she takes advantage and she has gotten cheekier and cheekier. She takes 1.5hr lunch breaks, comes in 30min late every day and dissapears for 20min at least 4 times per day. She also talks on the phone for hours and distracts others because she is so loud (Open plan office). I asked her to please correct this behaviour and she said please, just as I thought you were getting better, dont start your sh%t again!

I had enough and took it up with my supervisor and my supervisor has taken this higher now. When this employee was informed of this she bad mouthed me to everyone in the office - including those I considered friends. Now every one thinks I over reacted and I am being the office cow again. I have even heard my so called friends saying Im becoming a real cow.

I understand that I am going to get flack and I shouldnt care and I normally wouldnt but to have people who claim to be my friends say things like that makes me wonder if I am in the wrong. How do I build better working relationships and still be able to discipline when I need to?

I know what its like to be disgruntled. In fact, I can;t remember the last time I was gruntled.
People generally don't enjoy being disciplined, but shouldn't complain if the rules are clear, the penalties and rewards are consistent, and if discipline is administered firmly and objectively and without undue unpleasantness.
The person you describe sounds a chancer, eager to take every advantage. A routine 1.5 hour lunch-hour is unfair to the company and to other workers. Ans answering back, when she should be reminded that it is HER sh*t which is continuing, not yours. Be a proud cow, for you have done the right thing in referring this on and letting ehr face normal discipline. Discuss the reactions with your own supervisor.
IF your "friends" were actual adults, they should be so adept at self-discipline that little intervention from you should be needed. Do they really enjoy her taking so much time off, which presumably must increase the work-load for them ?

Posted by: anger management | 2009-01-16

My goodness, She has the nerve to speak to you in that kind of a tone....a lot of people have issues with descipline....they prefer to go unpunished..and funny enough there will always be this group of loud mouth ready to protect her at every cost.

i say, if going back to you old ways to sove this situation , please revert back to your old self and it is about time people started earning their it makes me so angry to think with so many unemployed people in this country some fools have the nerve to gamble with their jobs..

Look, maybe, this country needs real cows like you....if they call you a cow be a proud one but don' t buy friendship- please - those who claim to be your friends must be must clearly nicely asking them why they side with the loud mouth....and still claim to still be your friends,

A lot of things can happen to you inthis world but losing friends is not one of them, they are not worth your friendship and not adding value to your life.......

A few months ago i was in the same situation, i have a few friends but real friends now - by the way work is work work friends are called colleques so their opinions must not disturb much of your sound decent...i will work for you anytime of the day.

Reply to anger management