Posted by: Tiggs | 2009-06-29

Diseased Nails?! Help.

I started using the LCN gel system (a better alternative apparently to Bio Sculpture gel nails) on my nails from about January to about April. The nail technician that i was seeing filed my nails very hard until they burned. After a few months the gel wasn' t working for me, so i had it removed.

Since then my nails have not been able to grow properly. They chip and peel. About a month after removing the gel, the layers of my nails have started to separate and become very painful. My nails are now lifting and yellowing rapidly. They are very senstive and painful when i touch things. I cannot even scratch myslef. My guess is that there is some kind of bacteria?

I am also just hoping that things will get better after the damaged nails grow out?

Dear Tiggs
I think you should see your GP or a dermatologist to evaluate your nails to determine if you have a fungal infection or if the nails are lifting due to physical damage by the filing. They can also take a sample to send to the lab for examination under a microscope if unsure.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-29

Hi Tiggs

What a pity the nail tech filed your nails so hard. I suspect that your own nails were damaged during the filinf making them very thin and prone to infections. You may very well have a fungal infection now.

Unfortunately, it will take 6 months for your nails to grow out completely. It is very important that you get a good antifungal treatment and put it on your nails daily until all the lifting and yellowing is gone. I would also recommend that you drink omega 3 &  6 supplements to help your nails. If the fungal infection is not brought under control, it will take even longer for your nails to heal.

Do not put any dark colours or nail hardners on your nails now. You can try the LCN nail builder and nail serum to boost your nails while they grow out.

Please make sure you get the infection sorted out soon.