Posted by: Job seeker | 2009-01-29

Discrimination at job interview

Hi Doc.

I am fuming at the moment. I am overweight, right. Not a slob, but yes, overweight. After two miscarriages and a hormone imbalance I gained alot of weight. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance, for that I am on medication. I am not fat because I cannot stop eating and only live on junkfood. One the contrary, I eat the same as I have all my life, but the hormone imbalance and insulin resistance is reeking havoc.

What ticks me of is that Miss Priss on the other side of the desk doesn' t know about my medical battle, all she sees is a fat person and she won' t put my CV forward. I am as experienced if not more than the rest of the lot out there. I have a secretarial diploma and 7 years secretarial experience. I am very good at what I do, why do people discriminate. I have been going for interviews for the last almost 8 months. I am extremely disappointed about this.

I know you cannot help me with this, I just needed to vent.

I wish that the constitution and Human RIghts groups treated anti-fat, anti-illness, anti-disability discrimination as fiercely as they treat discrimination on the grounds of race, creed, etc. Miss Priss is obviously liusy at her own job, and gained it due to her looks and definitely not her talent, or she'd have realized that its your skills and suitability for the job that counts, not your weight. Unless it was for a job as a fashion model where anorexia seems a requirement, she was way out of line

Posted by: Job Seeker | 2009-01-29

Hi T and Just me.
Thank you for your replies.

Just me, I also feel there is something wrong with me, I have had ALOT of interviews over the last 8 months. It is really becoming depressing. I also keep telling myself that God does have something waiting for me, I just find that my faith gets tested alot lately.

T, you gave me a fantastic idea, thank you. I will definitely ask for a written response. That' s the other thing that ticks me off and that is that they cannot even bother to get back to you to tell you that you application was unsuccessful.

Thanx again for your replies,

Keep well.

Reply to Job Seeker
Posted by: T | 2009-01-29

Hi Job Seeker
I think what you can do is call the company every single time after an interview and ask for a written response as to why your application was not successful. Then you may be able to tell if the decision is totally objective or not. Otherwise you may just set yourself up for failure and start thinking you' re likely to be turned down because of your weight. I wish you all the best.

Reply to T
Posted by: Just me | 2009-01-29

I am so sorry to hear about this but you know what maybe its not yet your time. I remember last year i went for 5 interviews and I was beginning to think that there is something wrong with me. Only in December thats when I got a job and its the one with the most benefits and paying much more. Hang in there God knows what good for us.

Reply to Just me