Question
Posted by: SadMom | 2011/07/19

Discriminated because of disability

I don''t know if you would be able to help, but let’ s see:

My child (8) has practiced hockey from last year. Last year they played 1 game (of which he weren''t chosen to play in) and this year they played 3 games (of which he weren''t chosen to play either.) After the 2nd game asked why my son weren''t chosen to play and the coach replied that he will get a chance next time. The next time came he weren''t chosen again.
But since it were the last match of the term just left it at that.

My son was born with an underdeveloped left shoulder, arm and hand, but plays hockey well and even swims well.

Then, when he weren''t chosen for the 4th time I confronted the coach again and when she replied again :" Next time"  ,I flipped and said I''ll take it up with a higher rank.
I phoned the head of sports of the school and he said he''ll phone me back the next day, after he spoke to the coach.

The next day I phoned him. He told me that he spoke to the coach and she feels I should rather let my child play in individual sports and that they don''t think he could play in a team. The coach recons my son struggles with controlling the ball.
This is nonsense. And why tell me that NOW. Never before has this problem been addressed! He told me that I should accept that my child is disabled and that a sport like running or swimming would work better for him.

I feel that the school has discriminated against my child for being born different and that at a small age like Gr2, they could have given him a chance to play a game like all his friends does.

What can I do about this? Can a discrimination case be opened against the school? And it so, what will be the possible outcome of doing so?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Discriminated because of disability

It is suggested that you go to the equality court to speak to the Registrar with regard to this query.

1
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2011/07/28

re: Discriminated because of disability

Reply to labour lawyer