Posted by: Pieter | 2009-04-05

discrimanation due to medical reasons

My wife and i both work in the casino' s. She is a tables pitmanager and her job requires her to stand on her feet for long hours. It could be anything from 8 till 14 hours per shift. Last year November she was admited into ICU due to a blood clot in her leg. This cause intense pain and swelling. The doctor advised her not to stand for long hours and to try and sit more.
She approached our HR department about this problem and they insisted that she brings a letter so that they could look into maybe moving her to a nother department. She has spoken to our HR manager a couple of times now, and there is always a excuse i.c.w the issue. Last week she send our HR an email to find out what is going on, but they did not reply.
Last night my wife was send home due to intense bleeding because of her period. The pain in her legs is becomming worse by the day and she finds it difficult to stand for long periods. What is her rights or what procedure can she follow.
Please, any help will be appreciated

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

To date you have done what is expected. AS you have had no response from HR , you should now involve th union and your Health & Safety Rep. You should speak to the on site nurse or doctor as well. The employer has to address this problem.