Question
Posted by: Pieter | 2009-04-05

discrimanation

My wife and i both work in the casino industry. My wife is a tables pitmanager and it requires her to stand on her feet anything from 8 till 14 hours a day. Last year November she was admitted into ICU due to a bloodclot in her leg. She was put on heavy medication due to this problem. SHe was also taken off the birth control pill due to this.
The doctor recommended that she gets off her feet because that could cause the bloodclot to increase. Our HR manager insisted that she brings a letter from the specialist so that they can see where they can move her. A month after that they informed her that it is difficult to move her due to her salary, which i thought was not fair. It' s been 4 months now and they have not said anything. Last week she send our HR manager a letter to ask her what is happening but they still have not come back to her. My wife is finding it extremley difficult to stand long hours and she intends to get tired very quickly.
I need your help on what to do. We feel like she is being pushed aside or they expect her just to resign.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: DISCRIMINATION

Unfortunately it does look the essence of your wife's job is to be on her feet and not desk bound. It is best not to try and resign but to raise a grievance and try an internal process first.

2
Posted by: Boetie | 2009-04-05

Another thing, maybee it would help if she got another letter from the specialist saying that the matter is urgent 4 the sake of her health they must do something now. Good luck.

Reply to Boetie
Posted by: Boetie | 2009-04-05

Whatever happens she must NOT resign. If U resign then U lose all your rites + U walk out with nothing except your pension + whatever leave pay they owe U. If they really want her to go then they have to give her a severance package. She must insist on a meeting with the head of HR + get it sorted out. A letter from the specialist should suffice but they must do something. Let them make the move but she must not resign. Remember also if U resign then U can' t claim unemployment, but if U r retrenched then U can claim.

Reply to Boetie