Question
Posted by: disconnected | 2012/01/13

disconnected

I''m a half indian half coloured female. From my first memory I remember never fitting in.... Too coloured for my indian family and too indian for my coloured family. This has affected me profoundly as I have always felt that I don''t belong....it hurts to feel as if I don''t belong to my own family, to feel alone. Having suffered from depression as well has made me feel alienated from everyone and everything. My life feels empty and worthless. No matter how hard I try to convince myself that I''m no longer that lonely little girl, life keeps throwing me back in time to a place and time where the only friend and family I felt I had was myself. I''ve seen psychologists and psychiatrists, I''ve been on medication, but nothing helps. Its come to a point where I feel as if this life God has given me is being wasted. I''m doing nothing with it, its just an empty abyss :(

Its such a shame when a mixed family can't be sensible and loving and caring towards all their children. If they make you feel as though you don't belong in the family, shame on them, not on you. You need to see a good local psychotherapist / counsellor to help you work through this - to recognize your own value and worth, which is within you, and not something to be given or withheld by foolish family members. Medication isn't likely to help this, but CBT style counselling is more likely to be helpful.
If there is also a significant depression, then that can be helped by CBT as well, and perhaps also using modern good antidepressant meds

2
Posted by: Pale | 2012/01/17

R ur parents still alive? Why would they let their family treat you this way. They should have been your anchor through all this, I mean they are the ones who after all put you through this.
Did/Do they realize how much pain this has coursed you?
I think you should talk to them. Let them see things from your point of view.
And try not to need approval so much. There are a lot of mixed people that live happy lives outside their families. This is South Africa and I am sure you can imagine how many people go through what you are going through. Look at Trevor Noah, he seems happy enough!

Reply to Pale