Posted by: Maria | 2009-02-11

Discomfort after cardio

Hi Doc,

I have a BMI of 20. Relatively fit (I think), can get up to heart rate of 130 and barely break into sweat. 29 yr old female.

The last few times at gym, after 25 minutes of moderate cardio - I experienced dull aches and pains in my arms and legs - and as a result had trouble sleeping. The pain wears away after 2 - 3 days. I am alarmed that such short durations of exercise can cause this type of pain? I usually exercise 1 time a week - trying to get this up but the pain is putting me off.

What could cause this and how can i get relief? I want to exercise and stay fit.

Thanks for the service you provide...

HI Maria

Difficult to say, I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Pain after cardio, or starting during and then coming on the next morning? Or only the next morning?

And what cardio? THat is very important.

So it's quite hard to answer the question. I will say that having some muscle pain is normal when you start, and given that you've been training once a week, we'd expect that you would feel some pain when you try to increase it. My advice is to train easier, don't go as fast or as hard, but don't stop. If you stop for three or four days each time, you'll never get over it.

Posted by: Maria | 2009-02-16

Hello, to try to clarify - pain starts straight afterwards, and it is present when i try to sleep - an hour or two after exercise. It lasts a day or two and I wait for it to pass before getting into the gym again. Type of cardio - brisk walking - 20 minutes, and recumbant cycle - 10 mins would be the common ones.

So I am waiting 3 - 4 days afterwards before getting into the gym again....

I suppose i' m not as fit as i thought then. Is there any other advise you can give to cope with the pain and get back into gym sooner?

Reply to Maria