Posted by: Col | 2009-01-12

Discoloured Underarm Skin

Hi Doc - my 14 year-old Goddaughter has found that her arm pits seem to have permanently discoloured (gone a bit brown), which we think is from waxing and having possibly continually bruised the skin. Because she has quite coarse hair and doesn' t like the daily ' black shadow'  when shaving, she has also on occasion tried to pluck the hairs. She is obviously very self-conscious of the discoloured skin, especially when wearing sleeveless tops, her bikini, etc. She also has the same problem on her binkini line (inner thighs) from waxing. Our question: Is there anything that she can use to treat this by bleaching the skin without ' burning'  it e.g. lemon juice, 10 vol Peroxide?? Do you have any other advice on how to prevent this from happening? Thank-you.

Hallo Col
I think your god daughter should maybe see a dermatologist. Dark skin can be caused by irritation of the skin, and could be caused by friction, chemicals (like deoderant), or certain diseases. Waxing should not normally cause this as it is less irritating than shaving all the time .Applying bleaching agents can actually worsen the condition and you should please not use any over the counter bleaching agents.