Posted by: Mary-Ann | 2013-02-15

Discolouration of skin

Dear Doc,

My question is skin-related. I am a 35-year-old Caucasian female. I am quite fair skinned. I have discolouration of the skin under my arms and in my private areas. These are the only two areas on my body where the skin is darker. I don''t mind the darker area in my private area so much but I''m very self-conscious of the dark skin under my arms, so much so that I have stopped wearing sleeveless tops. Firstly, what would cause those areas to be darker? Secondly, is there anything I can do to lighten those areas again?

Thanking you in advance.

Unfortunately, this happens. The darkening of the skin can be due to sweating or abbrasion. You can consult a dermatologist for Intense Pulse Light treatment or laser treatment.