Posted by: KAT | 2009-09-08

Discipline for a 5yr old..

my daughter is 5 and she has just started to really disrespect me, every thing i ask of her she would not do she says NO, until her DAD asks her and she wouldn' t back chat or say anything she' l just do it.

He always tells her to listen to me and do what i say, and she will agree, but as soon as he turns his back she starts. she hits me, demands things from me and if i dont deliver, she screams and hells at me.

i dont want to keep running to her Dad for help, so, how do i get her to listen to me?

we have a wonderfull family life we shows each other respect around the house, its just the 3 of us. i dont understand y she acts like this.

Do check the archives of this forum, as we have disussed dicipline prob;ems so often, and other comments may be helpful to you. This sort of negatavism arises in most children, and often aound that age --- its not really a lack of respect for you, but a very annoying exploration of her independence. Unfortunately, kids discover the power of saying NO before they realise the power of saying Yes.
You and her dad need to work closely together and make it clear that you have the same rules and that he will be checking with you, and if she has been disobeying or being unpleasant to you, he will consider it exactly as disappointing as if she did it to him directly.
And, as discussed in so many previous messages, use time out when she has a tantrum, explaining that she will have to stay in a quiet place for 6 minutes ( age plus one ) and then she can return to the family IF she is quiet and apologised for breaking the rules, or the 6 minutes will start again. Draw up a chart to be run by both you and her dad, where she gets stars for every half-day she has been obedient, and black marks for every half day she doesn't --- 10 stars and she earns a reward, ten black marks and she loses s privilege ( like playing with friends, or watching TV ).
What do other parents suggest ?

Posted by: Rob | 2009-09-08

I think you are to be blamed coz you must have spoilt her from young age that she thinks you can' t do anything to hey. Start enforcing a serious disciple that your hubby uses, a five year old is a baby therefore you need to show her who' s boss.

Reply to Rob