Posted by: Tania | 2012-01-14

Discharge (wax/blood) from ear

Hi, my 7 year old has had grommets twice last set being about 4 years ago. The past year she has I think had a wax blockage and the past few months a discharge which I think is wax leaking out however it starting to smell and there is now also blood discharge. I put a a drop of glycerine in her ear a few times with cotton wool and then I got some covancaine but I doubt it is helping!

What could this mean - Perferrated ear-drum, burst ear-drum or just a really bad ear infection?

Do you have an ENT recommendation for me I stay on the East Rand (Primrose) so anywhere in Boksburg/Benoni etc. area would be great?

You can start with a consultation with your GP for an examination and treatment with Quadriderm cream earplugs until you can get an appointment with an ENT specialist. Unfortunately, I am situated in Cape Town and am not familiar with the specialists in your area. I suggest that you contact your nearest hospital for a reference or get one from your GP.

It is possible that your child has a chronic infection of the outer ear, with wax build up. A physical examination is necessary to establish the cause.