Question
Posted by: claudia | 2011-03-15

Discharge &  sever pain 7 days after grommets

My daughter is 3.5years old.
She has had a tonsillectomy, 2x adenoidectomy and 7 days ago she had her 4th set of grommets inserted.
The problem is that 7 days after the op and her ears are still leaking so badly that she cannot go out in public and she is in agony. She is really in alot of discomfort and she is not showing any signs of recovery at all which is very different from the last three grommets insertions. The ENT says she might have developed a Cellulitis. Can Cellulitis honestly produce so much fluid? have my doubts. I am concerned that the incision made into her eardrums for the grommets has become infected. WHat could the reason be for all this yellowy/clear fluid that is literally dripping out of her ear consistantly and all this pain? slight fever present and slight odour. please help?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Claudia

Sellulitis is the term we use to describe inflammation/infection of a soft tissue area. In your child's case it seems to be originating in the middle ear cleft. She may be suffering from an acute middle ear infection, and because she has the grommet in situ, the fluid/discarge is pouring through the grommet opening. The eardrum does not become infected in the same manner, and can usually not produce as much fluid as the middle ear cleft, as the surface area is much smaller. The middle ear cleft is massive compared to the external ear canal, so if the whole area becomes infected, it leads to coupious amounts of pus/fluid draining from the ear.

You should take her back to the surgeon for examination of the ears, as she may even require antibiotics, as well as topical antibiotic drops. She will most definitely require painrelief to control her discomfort. Sometimes the ears are problematic and may take a while to recover, so cleaning of the ears are needed in order for the drops to work. In some cases one may place ointment in the earcanal to assist with the problem.

1
Posted by: claudia | 2011-03-29

Thank you ENT doc for your advice on my daughters problem.
She has since been under general anaesthetic again and had the cellulitis dealt with. Quadriderm was applied and she was on a Rocephin drip for 5 days. All good now. I appreciate your help

Reply to claudia