Question
Posted by: Thea | 2011/12/13

Discharge

I am suffering from adenomyosis, so am not sure whether this is causing the current symptoms. I have always had heavy, irregular periods (sometimes 21 days in between). Three times during the last year I have had the discharge when ovulating (the normal mucus, sometimes with a bit of bloody spotting as well), however it has now twice happened that the discharge lasts for about 7-8 days (changing from mucus to a watery bloody discharge). This then doesn''t stop until my next period starts. Is this normal? I have thought about a STD, but haven''t been with a man for 13 years, so I''m sure any of those symptoms should have shown by now. I do however sometimes use fragrant bath oils and salts. Could these be irritating me? My Gynae has recommended that I undergo a hysterectomy (for the adenomyosis) however, I feel that 42 is a bit young (I''m very young at heart) and have heard enough stories from family members and friends about the problems they have afterwords (can''t hold a fart, when laughing there''s no bladder control, diarrhea or constipation, bladder ''dropping'', etc). My attitude regarding a hysterectomy is to wait until the last moment before I have it. Can''t in any case take 6 weeks off work at this stage, as our company uses any excuse to retrench people.

The bloody discharge is worrying. It could indicate a polyp in the uterus or an abnormality of the cervix. You need a pap smear if you have not had one in the past year as well as an assessment of the womb lining.

1