Posted by: Kevin Opperman | 2009-08-13

Disbaric Osteonecrosis

I am a scuba diver and recently became aware of Disbaric Osteonecrosis. Before I run off to the doctor, I would like to find out what symptoms I can expect. I am getting lower back pain, but this might also be due to an injury I sustained in my childhood years. The Symptoms I am experiencing is: Numbness of my leg when I lay on my side, lower back pain and sometimes I have difficulty walking after I have been seated for a while due to pain in my hip.

Dear Kevin
The chance that you have dysbaric osteonecrosis is low - it is more prevalent in commercial divers that work for long periods at great depths and run the risk of getting the bends. Your symptoms sound like a pinched nerve in the lower back (sciatica) and your doctor will be able to determine this with a physical examination and a lower back x/ray. Sometimes a MRI is needed to see if a disc herniated. Dysbaric osteonecrosis tends to give stiffness, pain and limited movement in the joint of the hip or shoulder.