Disabling aspects of bipolar

I am 23 years old and was diagnosed as bipolar two years ago when I had my first manic episode after a long depression.

I have since managed to complete my degree with excellent results and even won a university class medal.

However, the saddest thing is that people discard bipolar people and sometimes it is very lonely. This can lead to suicide. It is not easy to live with someone who has bipolar disorder but people must remember that we also have a contribution to make to society and that when we are manic or depressive we need understanding and support.

I also find that no one realises the extent to which mental illness disables one. I can produce excellent work but it takes me twice as long. Unsympathetic people will often get impatient and I lose hope.
Physical disability gets more support than mental disability and there needs to be more activism around this. Too many productive lives are lost because no one wants to be involved with mental illness.

I am lucky to have a loving family, a devoted twin sister , a wonderful doctor, medication and a therapist but there are thousands of poor people in South Africa who are afflicted with this disease and have no hope.

I hope government hears my voice and seeks to put measures in place to find these people and help them.

What are the chances that bipolar could be recognised as a disability so that we can have rights and protocols that help us to maximise our potential in society.

Of course bipolar people, and those with more ordinary depressions, make major contributions to society --- indeed, it's remarkable how many famous people through history have done just that.
And I so agree with the outrage that, despite the fine words in the constitution, psych illnesses and disabilities are never treated with the respect and equality that they deserve. Have you considered working with an established group like the Anxiety-Depression Support Group, towards more lobbying in this direction ? Some members of the new cabinet are familiar with such problems and how they can be overcome with the right help and support, so this may be a good time for a fresh initiative of this sort

...and none of the " experts"  are answering any questions......

Posted by: Anon | 2009-05-26

There is a guest bipolar forum on today - look at the main page.