Question
Posted by: EG | 2009-08-24

Diotroxin

I am 60kg overweight. I began gaining weight after my first pregnancy 20 yrs ago and nothing has helped me to lose weight effectively. Even though I' ve had 2 thyroid tests which were " in the normal range" , my doctor believes that my thyroid is mildly underactive. He has prescribed Diotroxin, which seems to be working. He has told me that there will be no damage done if in fact my thyroid function is normal. I' m concerned about something I read on this site about the medication causing problems and may even cause the pituitary gland to stop functioning? Please clarify. This really seems to be my last hope.

Dear EG
If you do have an underactive thyroid then supplementing with thyroid hormone replacement therapy will be beneficial and assist with weightloss if combined with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day. I have checked my copy of MIMS and no mention is made of Diotroxin suppressing pituitary function if used at prescribed doses. Diotroxin should not be used in patients with congenital hypopituitarism (which occurs in infants and children who are born with this defect), or acquired hypopituitarism (can occur in adults if their pituitary gland has been damaged). I would recommend that you have your thyroid function tested regularly to see if you still require therapy and ask your dr if you suffer from panhypopituitarism, which is highly unlikely.

1
Posted by: EG | 2009-08-27

Thanks very much for the info. What would be the effects if my thyroid was NOT underactive?

Reply to EG