Posted by: Fiona | 2009-04-02

Dinner disaster

Hi Doc, I' d like your help. I have a few cm/kg to lose and I eat well during the day (oats, fruit, veggie soups, low-fat yoghurt, etc.), but I always find myself going overboard in the evenings when I cook for my hubbie and kids. I find myself eating until I' m groaning - and I' m not nearly as conscious of what I eat as I am during the day. What can I eat before dinner to make me feel full and stop me from going overboard without compromising my diet? I can' t afford to have a different meal altogether.

Dear Fiona
It may help to have half a cup of plain low-fat yoghurt or a slice of low-GI bread before supper to curb your appetite, but the ideal is to learn to eat moderate or small portions of regular foods and to cook for the whole family without adding lots of fat. One way of reducing your food intake when you eat with the family is to dish up half portions for yourself and then to chew each mouthful twice as long as you normally would. This improves satiety.
Hope you can achieve moderate food intake at dinner time.