Question
Posted by: ditzi | 2008/07/21

dimebon in alzheimers

My mother has been diagnosed with altzheimers some time ago. Their medical aid is stretched as it is with other chronic medication and due to the expense of the medication the neurologist put her on she opted to stop using the medication. I have been scouring the internet for alternatives and have found some sites that refer to dimebon and that they have had some success with it. What I want to know is it at all available in S.A., to what degree is it successful and how expensive is it.

Hi Ditzi
It is not registered in SA at the moment, it is still in clinical trial stage.
There are regular Alzheimer clinical trials being done in South Africa, and most of the drugs are already in Phase III ( it has already been tested in animals for safety (pre-clinical phase) , in health volunteers for safety (phase 1) and in patients with Alzheimers for efficacy (phase II) and is now being tested to gather information for the package insert.) They usually get free medication for about 12-18 months and often for a while afterwards.
If you are interested, let me know in which area your mom lives and I can maybe give you the name of a reputable neurologist researcher near you?