Question
Posted by: mother | 2010/01/13

Dilemma

hi CS

today was an awesome day for me - took my baby to school (Grade 01). all went well i must say!

the problem is: he is turning 06 end of Jan, and i think he is still a baby! the teacher also said that he is still a baby and he slept in class today... which i suppose is a bit understandable... coming from creche and holidays...

I as a loving concerned mother who has the child' s best interest at heart - i feel he is still young. there are children who are born wise who are just clever.. my baby is only coping (you know as a mother) he is not a slow learner but neither the wizz kid either!

I do not want to waste time, i want to take him to grade R at a private Pre Primary school, now i am worried about the psychological effect that will impact my baby... how do i go about doing this without hurting my baby' s feelings? he is sensitive and has been wanting to go to school since last year already. i don' t want him to feel as though he is not good enough etc etc...

Please help am very desperate.

Well done. I expect it takes a while to figure out what school is about, and if he would have had a nap at home, he might decide to do the same at school.
I see no reason to expect any form of psychological damage or problem for him at all. Some kids, who show no sign of damage, cause chaos and drama for their first weeks at school.
Im more bothered by the fact that he is 6, and you keep referring to him as your baby. He may live up to such expectations

3
Posted by: Leez | 2010/01/14

From a mother: you' ll be doing him an injustice by letting him continue in gr 1. Put him in gr R for this year. Gr 1 is for kids turning 7 (for a good reason). I did this for my youngest daughter and don' t regret it at all.

Would you rather he be disappointed now (where he' ll overcome it in a few days) OR fail in a few years due to not coping and be disappointed THEN. Point to ponder. Good luck. Keep us informed tho?

Reply to Leez
Posted by: Tasja | 2010/01/13

Why did you send him to Gr 1 this year,werent he supposed to be in Gr R this year.Because as far as i know children go to Gr 1 in the year they turn 7.And it sounds to me that he will only be turrning 7 next year???Just wondering,he wont be behind his fellow friends if you send him to Gr R,he will be at least in the same age group as they are.
Maybe you can just tell him that mommy got a bit confused and send him to the wrong Grade,and that his supposed to be going to Gr R this year.

Reply to Tasja