Question
Posted by: steph | 2008/10/17

Dilated cardiomyopathy

My daxie has DCM, cybervet confirmed that the tx that he is on at the moment ( lasix, fortikor and hawthorn &  various supps) is good. i have been doing some reading about a drug, Vetmedin ( Pimobanden) i believe it is available outside of SA. How effective is this drug? My dog is still not showing overt signs of heart failure, but would like to do as much as is possible to delay the onset of a decline in the quality of his life.

Dear Steph

I used Vetmedin before in the UK and is a very good drug and can be used with the more conventional drugs. I do not now if available in SA yet. In my experience one drug may only be slightly more effective than the other. That why there is so many different drugs on the market. If the dog is still doing OK I don't think Vetmedin would make a difference at this stage even if available.