Question
Posted by: Mary | 2011/10/07

Digging holes

Good afternoon
Last year I adopted two wonderful dogs from the SPCA. THey have been such a blessing and would encourage anyone to adopt these dogs. The one is a jack russel cross and has a habit of digging holes. I know it is instict, but how can I discourage him from doing it. My garden is seriously not surviving his little paws. I have tried a sandbox and that is so not working.
Please help

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Mry, and lovely to hear from people like yourself so give these dogs a home - congrats!
What I would suggest is several things:-
1. Plenty of walks to provide mental and physical stimulation.
2. Plently of varied chew toys changed daily such as a rawhide with a very little bit of peanut butter smeared into the cracks or similar item.
3. build a digging pit. This is very easily done and you can make it attractive by using railway sleepers etc and even planting ferns around it to disguise it from view - basically it is like a childs sand pit.
It needs to be big enough that the dog fits in easily and can dig in any direction to its heart content. Some people suggest filling with sand, but this can cause worms to appear and I myself prefer ordinary garden soil which has been loosened.
1. After digging pit built, place an object like an Ox Femur in it, just under the surface, call your dog and say 'dig,dig' while you start to uncover this treasure. Your dog will come to help you!
2. when the dog realizes that this new area contains such treasures, it will always dig there. You may have to do this a few days in a row till the dog gets the idea.
3. When the dog has cottoned on, keep a sup0ply of really nice chewy things such as biscuits, cow hooves etc buried on a daily basis.

This works beautifully as a dog will always do what is more rewarding. Good luck, Scotty
p.s. there is a full article on this on my friendsofthedog site.

2
Posted by: BIki | 2011/10/11

Thank you so much for your answer.

I will try it and let you know how it works out.

Reply to BIki
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/10

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert