Question
Posted by: JC | 2010/01/27

Digestive System

Hi Doc, I am out of ideas and solutions with regards to my digestive system. I am in my early 20' s and for a good few years now i have always suffered from irritable bowels, bloating etc... I went onto probiotics and cut out any foods that might be worsening the symptoms and it was working for a while until lately. For a few weeks now I have been terribly bloated and sluggish and I want to know if anything in my current diet is leading to this, my usual daily meals are as follows:

- Protein shake and fruit before gym
- Sorghum based porridge and coffee after gym
-Fruits as snacks inbetween all meals
- Carb Protein and Veg for lunch
-Carb protein and veg for dinner

Any suggestions please....I am desperate.

Dear JC
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can cause flare-ups every now and then which may require medical treatment. I would firstly recommend that you visit your medical dr for a checkup to see if you can't use mild medications to defuse the present crisis. Try using a probiotic called Bifidoflora which you can buy at health shops as it is specially formulated to combat IBS. One factor that may be making your condition worse, is fructose sensitivity. While fruits are wonderful foods, they do contain a lot of fruit sugar or fructose and some people are sensitive to very large intakes. Try cutting down on your fruit intake to 3 servings a day and substitute bland vegetables for the other servings (e.g. butternut, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato), just to see if you are reacting to fructose. Also check out the protein shake that you are using to see if it contains soy protein, because soy protein sometimes makes IBS worse.
If none of these solutions improves your situation then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through the steps of determining which are the offending foods in your diet.
I hope this helps

1

Dear JC
I hope this helps