Posted by: DD | 2008-11-30

Digestive problems

What foods should I avoid with my digestive problems, my stomach area is always sore,bloated, and cramps. I know my stomach swells 6 cm if I eat oats or rice, and I know its bad if I eat chick peas. But it is still happening so I am trying to cut out wheat but with little help, I still get bloated with a 2-3 cm daily. I am also very constipated.

I have been taking digestive enxymes, glutamine and antioxidants, probiotics, to help restore my colon but when I went to the bathroom (number 2 for a better word) there was a orange fluid? Is this from the supplements? Can I keep taking it?

Any other supplements that I can take that can help. The colon area is very sensitive right now.

Dear DD
Please for your own sake have a medical examination immediately. We need to get a diagnosis of what is going on because your symptoms can be caused by conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or food allergies. If you do suffer from food allergies then it is necessary to have allergy tests done to determine exactly which foods you need to avoid. As you say even if you cut out the foods you suspect, you are still bloating. If you should be diagnosed with IBS (constipation variety), then two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.
But please see your dr ASAP