Question
Posted by: Concerned S | 2013-01-15

Difficulty swallowing

Morning doctor, hopefully you can shed some light on this issue for me. I had a Hernia repair surgery done about 10 weeks ago because of recurring lung infections and chronic heartburn. Eversince the surgery I cannot eat properly - almost everything I eat gets stuck right below my rib area. It is so bad that I cant then even swallow my siliva when that happens. Eventually it will come up instead of down. It is extremely painful and embarrising at times and effects my daily life.. I have my second follow-up appointment this week to hear what my doctor says. I also have some heartburn which is getting worse daily. Please give your opinion as I cant wait till I see my doc. Thanking you

It is obvious that the junction between the oesophagus and stomach has been surgically corrected, in order to prevent reflux of stomach content. Unfortunately, it is possible that due to fibrosis, the junction has become too small and hence the severe dispepsia. You will have to consult your doctor for a gastroscopy and examination. Your doctor will be able to stretch the area that has become too tight under anaesthesia. In the interim, eat small soft meals.