Question
Posted by: Marita | 2009-06-25

Difficulty sleeping

Quite often I really battle falling asleep, or I fall asleep and wake up about 1am and then cannot fall asleep. I am a very light sleeper and even just my husbands breathing keeps me awake. Most nights I end up sleeping in the spare room to just try and fall asleep and this worries me. I am a 49 year old female. Any suggestions?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Waking up at night is normal. What should happen, though, is that you should then be able to get back to sleep within about 20 minutes. However, the pattern you describe is also typical of depression. If you think you are depressed, ask your doctor for something to help you with that. Otherwise you may need to be referred to a doctor with experience in sleep problems.