Posted by: Therese | 2010-08-30

Difficulty pinpointing ovulation and falling pregnant

I had the Mirena IUD for a year. I removed it in May this year. I got my first menstruation cycle a day after it was removed. The second one was 16/06 and then 16/07 lasting for 8 days and then 12/08, for 8 days. I’ ve been testing for ovulation but it seems there is no LH surge. It’ s always negative. Does this mean I am not ovulating? I’ ve been using an ovulation calculator as well but it is difficult to say how long my cycle is. It’ s not constant. Can you advise any other way to pinpoint the ovulation?

Thank you.

Dear Therese

The other method of detecting or trying to pin point ovulation will be measuring the basal body temperature, if there is a slight rise in the basal body temperature then one would assume that ovulation is taking place. You will however require a special thermometer that can be obtained at a pharmacy to assess for this change. However the more accurate method to assess if ovulation is taking place would be to assess you progesterone blood level, which is done on approximately day-21 of your cycle. If the progesterone in the mid-luteal phase is high then one is ovulating. Lastly the other method of assessing for ovulation is serial ultrasound examinations to assess for follicular growth and subsequent ovulation.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo