Posted by: Kerry | 2009-06-01

Difficulty evacuating bladder (10 weeks pregnant)

I am 10.5 weeks pregnant now and on Saturday I had a rather traumatic experience where I was unable to urinate even though my bladder was full. I managed to get the urine out bit by bit by standing up in the bath. All in all it took about two hours for me to get it all out. My bladder was very full since we had been out in the car and I had been forced to keep it in til we got home.

Now this has just happened to me again. Once again, my bladder was full and I was unable to urinte. I once again stood in the bath, squeezing out bit by bit until it was all out - took about an hour. it is actually quite traumatic to be stuck with a bladder full of urine that wont come out. When I phoned my doctor on Saturday to tell him of my ordeal he didnt seem concered and suggested that I would be able to urinate if I just relaxed.

I did a search on the internet and apparently this is can be a common problem amongst women with a tilted or retroverted uterus. I do have a retroveted uterus so now I am quite sure that this is what is causing this dillema for me. The lieterature on the internet suggests that the problem usually abates after about 14 to 14 weeks when the uterus shifts out of the pelvis and away from the bladder.

It is rather stressful and it is making anxious that it is going to keep happening. Fortunately both times i have been at home and I have been able to spend an hour and a half in the bath standing up waiting to pee but if this happens while I am out at a client or something i dont know what i will do!

Is this a cause for concern? Will this problem abate after the first trimester? Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Your reading is correct, it usually resolves after 14 weeks. There isn't anything you can do to prevent it. You seem to be managing at the moment though it takes a long time. Many women need a catheter to tide them over till 14 weeks.