Question
Posted by: worried mother | 2010/12/07

Difficult 10 year old

Hi CS, I am 36, have 3 kids. My eldest son of 10 has always been a challenge from being a high maintenance baby to a very high strung 10 year old. My other two are " easier"  with the result that my husband and I tend to compare and also use the "  you are the eldest and should no better."  We are very aware that comparing kids is wrong and try not to do so, but very difficult. He is extremely sensitive and can''t stand to be teased. The smaller two will be playing amicably, but put him in and the fights start. He is extremely bright, but struggles to focus for longer periods of time. I suffer from depression, have been to a psych and feel much better, but afraid that my son may also suffer from same and exhibits some of the same sensitivity and low self esteem which I suffered from as a child. Would taking him for an assessment to a psych/ other expert help?

There could be many and complex reasons why your son experiences and causes, these difficulties. It would surely be helpful to take him for a proper assessment to a child psychiatrist or child psychologist - to know what may be wrong and what can best be done about it, and also to get some re-assurance about what is NOT wrong.

1