Posted by: Kb | 2008-11-06

Differin gel

I am 32 yrs. My dermatologist prescribed Differin gel for me to use on my face.Please could you let me know what this actually does for the skin. I have also been on acnetane 30mg. One week on, three weeks off, one week on..........

Expert ImagePharmacist

Adapalene (differin) is indicated to treat and prevent acne, especially in the presence of white- and blackheads.

It is thought to work by helping skin cells shed normally rather than allowing them to accumulate in pores. It thus prevents and treats acne by preventing the clogging of pores, and helps to keep them clear.

It may leave your skin more susceptible to sunlight and sunburn. It is advised to keep sun exposure to the minimum and wear sunscreen and protective clothing whenever exposed to the sun whilst using adapalene. If sunburn occurs, discontinue use until the skin is fully recovered.

Avoid contact with the eyes, mouth, angles of the nose and mucous membrane as adapalene has excessive drying effects here that may cause irritation.

Excessive application will not produce better or more rapid results. Optimal results may only be acquired after 6 or more weeks of use.

During the first few weeks of treatment with adapalene there may be an apparent worsening of your acne - Do not discontinue use.