Posted by: Tom | 2009-05-05

Different scructured workout

I used to work all my body in one workout three times a week however now i go to the gym everyday and am trying a split circuit for example monday: chest and back tuesday: shoulders and arms on my previous workout i did 2 exercises for each body part, shall i carry on doing this or add more also will i need to increase the sets for each workout?

Hi tom

Depends a lot of what your objective is. But in most cases, this kind of split routine is better, mainly because it helps you recover better between training , and this means you can work a little harder each time. I’m not quite sure your current split is the best one – you might try to split so that you do shoulders and back one day. Chest and arms another. There’s no hard and fast rule, it’s just that in my experience, if you do shoulders and arms, then you compromise your training because you fatigue the muscle very quickly. With regards to the sets, I don’t know how many you did – I’d say 2 or 3 is the normal number, and unless there’s a reason to want to increase this I would say keep it the same