Question
Posted by: Elaine | 2012/01/24

Different rules for different people

Hi Cybershrink

May I wish you a Happy New Year!

I live in a so-called upmarket complex. I moved here because the area I was staying in became very unsafe and we had numerous break-ins. I pay a big rent. I am paying for peace of mind, security and the pleasure of living here - so I thought.

There is a little syndicate living here that protects their " inner circle"  so whilst they welcome complaints heaven forbid you complain about one of " theirs" . I had to as a neighbor is so noisy and he just happens to be part of the circle. I placed the complaint in a most courteous manner throught the right channel. Summonsed and accused of causing discord.

I told them that the same rules apply to everyone apparently and allegedly. Told them that it is unacceptable and I am not part of the complaint process that is their baby even if they have to tackle an old friend so to speak. The man in question gathered all his buds and tried to make us look like mud. They did get a massive surprise when I stood up to them (their one lone representative) and said it like it is - quietly, calmly, politely and straight to the point.

Now we are pariahs of the complex and they avert their gazes and probably won''t pay any attention to anything we have to say anywhere. Their problem is that we are considerate and they cannot find anything to complain about. I doubt they could have us evicted but it makes it unpleasant.

Without going the legal route how does one handle this one on one? I though the best policy was to say my say and let them mull over that. Maybe I should have refused to let her in. I said if you have something to say come to see don''t summons me like I am a child going to the Principal''s office.

Make no mistake this is not over and they will keep at it - you know pointing out we did something wrong! Of course it has now been blissfully peaceful but I guess that is besides the point.

Hi Elaine ; good wishes reflected back to you !
In many communities of various kinds, cliques form, of insiders, or founder, or whatever, who remain united and are unfriendly towards newcomers. Unfortunate but common.
Complaining about someone else who may be breaking the complex's rules should not be considered causing discord.
It might be interesting and useful to get a legal opinion, as such a body may be allowed to make rules, but I suspect they would still be expected to apply them fairly and without prejudice. This does not mean necessarily "going the legal route" in terms of actually taking the matter to court ( yet ) but of being certain of your rights and options, which may be enough to persuade them to start being fair and efficient.

5
Posted by: upmarket area resident | 2012/01/25

As u r still hear pls update yourself with responses to 547

Reply to upmarket area resident
Posted by: ? | 2012/01/25

" I told them that the same rules apply to everyone apparently and allegedly. " 

What does this mean?...oh I forgot, you leave in an upmarket area apparently and allegedly lol...

Reply to ?
Posted by: Maria | 2012/01/24

And there you have the reason why I will never again live in a flat or complex where a whole lot of people with nothing in common other than where they live, have to get along. Been there done that, didn''t like it.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Obvious | 2012/01/24

Get some perspective.You have complained and they listened.

They now avoid you but have not made a counter complaint against you.

Why would you think this is not over? Stop being dramatic, most people will tell you living in a complex is not very pleasant, even in an upmarket area.

If ,as you say, you r model tenants u have nothing to worry about.
Should you find their coolness troubling you are renting and it would be easy to move. As you did not invest in buying the unit it is not a big deal or financial loss to move.

Reply to Obvious