Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2009/11/23

Different kJ expenditure for organs

Dear Doc

Do you know the different energy expenditure (in kJ) each of your major organs use a day, mostly heart, lungs and brain?

Dear Charlene
According to my dietetics handbook, the heart and brain in adult humans expend 10% and 19% of the so-called resting energy expenditure (REE) of the body. I don't have a figure for the lungs. The REE equals between 60 and 75% of your daily energy requirement, so if you are an adult woman who requires 8400 kJ per day, then let's day 68% of your REE = 5712 kJ and 10% of that is 571 kJ for the heart and 19% is 1085 kJ for the brain. Keep in mind that none of these values are written in stone! but are approximate values based on your personal REE.

1

Dear Charlene