Question
Posted by: Worried " Reflux"  Mom | 2008/09/22

Different diagnoses for 2.5yr old son

My son (2.5 yrs) has been “ sick”  since birth with mostly ear infections, croup, bronchitis, sinusitis, etc. He’ s been on so much antibiotics, it’ s scary. Last week he was admitted to Pta East hospital with gastro and spent the week there and was released yesterday, however his infection count didn’ t lower. He however also has a throat infection that won’ t clear after a week on the antibiotic drips. The paed called in an ENT and he says my son’ s probably been suffering from reflux since birth, hence all the ear infections, croup symptoms, night fevers, etc (he didn’ t sleep for the firsts 15 months of his life!!!). However, this is great, he said no further tests are needed and no medication is suggested. Then the paed that released us said to put him on losec and if this doesn’ t work to do tests. My paed said to wait and see. I’ m at the end of my rope and need to know if you could recommend a specialist that I could see, as my son’ s constant illnesses is not only affecting him, but the entire family and I can’ t go on with so many different opinions of what could be wrong and what could be done.

Dear Worried "Reflux" Mom
I can imagine that you must be worried and that the entire family must be totally worn out after all this time with your son being constantly ill. I would take the advice of the one Paediatrician regarding the treatment with Losec (this is a tried and trusted medication for the treatment of gastric reflux) and if this still does not help (and I am holding thumbs that it does!), then take the next step of doing further tests. If your son does suffer from gastric reflux then I also think he should be seen by a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will help you with planning your son's food intake to lessen the reflux and to also check if he is getting the nutrients he needs to keep his immune system functioning properly.
Hang in there

1
Posted by: Jean | 2008/09/23

a lady at work also had a problem with her son. in and out of the hospital the hole time and he had all the illnesses u could think of. until they done a test for allergies and found that he was alergick to milk. and now all her problems is over.

Reply to Jean