Question
Posted by: TC | 2011/01/18

Different attorneys

I am in the process of getting divorced and yesterday he told me he went to se an attorney. I told him that I will then arrange one as well and he said we must rather use the same attorney. We have decided on the settlement and the kids everyting and the divorce will only be a formality. Is it feasable to use the same attorney or must I rater get one myself. he says it is a waste of money.
TC

Expert ImageFamily law expert

I suggest always that you get a second opinion. So once the settlement is drafted go and see an attorney to advise you whether it is fair in your circumstances. Remember that divorce is always a business decision and a bad settlement may later bite you in the back.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http://www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter/edivorce
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys
Skype: divorceattorney

2
Posted by: FIO | 2011/01/22

With all due respect to attorneys, they are in the business of making money. It is good to get a seo=cond opinion, but he attorney giving the second opinion may instigate a disagreement,which means the attorneys make more money,a nd you and ex lose out.

My suggestion is see a mediator who is neutral, and does not make money out of disagreements,a nd acts within the law. Throigh the mediator draft your settlement, and then have an attornmey who si neutral review the agreement to ensure it is legally compliant.

At the end of the day this is your settlement agreement, so as long as you are happy with it, there shoud be no problem.

It so often happens that attroneys screw up perfectly good agreements simply because attorneys know thay make money out fo disagreements. So be careful.

I suggest you both consult an attorney you both agree on, not one he has chosen or you have chosen. That is hard to do, hence my recommendation that you consult a qualified and accredited mediator to draft your agreement before consulting an attorney, unless the attorney you choose is omeone you both know you can trust and rely on to do what i sbestk not what is going favour one or the other or make loads of money for the attorney when you dont agree on matters.

Once again, no intended disrespect to attorneys, but they generally make their money out of disputes, not solutions.

Reply to FIO
Posted by: family law expert | 2011/01/22

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http://www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter/edivorce
Skype: divorceattorney

Reply to family law expert