Posted by: S.RamseY | 2009-01-29

How can I have a healthy diet but still maintain as low weight as I possibly can.I have a modeling opportunity and im bulimic/anorexic.I want to get healthy but fear I will gain weight.
My height is 1.66 and I am under but im happy being under.Is it possible to stay skinny and be healthy? Please give me some guidance. I have no money now so professional help is not an option.

Dear S Ramsey
It is perfectly possible to be thin and healthy, but if your BMI is under 18 and on top of that you are bulimic/anorexic then I fear that you are not healthy and that you are not eating a healthy diet that will prevent deficiencies and metabolic damage. I understand that you are desperate to earn money with modelling, but just stop and think for a moment how much damage you are going to do to your future health. What you need now, is not to eat less food, but to obtain help for your eating disorder(s). Eating Disorders need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Go for expert help ASAP.