Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2010/10/03

DIETING, NOT LOSING

Hi. I am 1.7m and roughly 79kg. For the past month I have been following the Weigh less eating plan (5 complex carbohydrates, 3 proteins, 3 fruits, 2 fat, 3 vegetable and 2 milk servings per day). strictly. I have also started to excercise - about 5 times per week, which includes running of no more than 3km per day. The bad thing is: I have not lost more than 1 kg and I am 35 years old. For the past 2 years I have been on Eltroxin and the last time I checked (about 4-5 months ago) my hypothyroidism symptoms were fine, my levels were fine. They even tested for some other related levels, in order to establish the reason behind my weight gain, but it seemed normal. If I remember the story of Mariette Chippendall, her symptoms of weight gain went on for years before treated correctlty. Does it sound normal to you? What would you advise me to do?

Dear Desperate
In general, the Weigh-Less eating plan works very well and this organisation is known for having helped thousands of people to lose weight and keep it off over a period of more than 30 years. I would suggest that you ask your Weigh-less counsellor if you need to adjust your intake to kick-start your weightloss. If your hypothyroidism is well under control, which seems to be the case and you are not losing on a Weigh-Less diet plus doing aerobic exercise 5 times a week, then this is indeed not usual. It may help to consult an Endocrinologist (a medical dr who specialises in hormone imbalances) to see if you are not perhaps also suffering from insulin resistance or polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), which is also linked to insulin resistance (IR). IR makes weightloss difficult. If you should be diagnosed with IR or PCOS then it is essential that you consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, hypothyroidism and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Keep up the aerobic exercise because this helps you to improve your insulin and glucose levels.
I hope you will be able to pinpoint what is hampering your weightloss and start losing successfully.

1

Dear Desperate