Question
Posted by: Georgie | 2008/07/08

Dieting & exercising, can't lose weight

I have been eating properly and exercising five times a week but I can't seem to lose weight. My diet is no longer a diet but a way of eating. I eat six meals a day and ensure that I include 5-9 servings of fruit and vegetables. I probably overall eat better than 99% of the population and have for quite some time now. I have also been exercising five times a week for an hour per session which includes cardio and weights. I know the weights don't help you on the scale but I still feel that I should slowly be losing some weight. However, I am not and I don't know what more to do. I do have cheat days which I think are important so that I also enjoy my life. I believe in a balance in life.
I just need to know what could be stopping my body from losing weight. I don't want to eat like a rabbit as this is not realistic or sustainable. Any suggestions or advice?

Dear Georgie
I can't work out if your weight is in the overweight category or already in the normal range, because you did not list your height in metres and weight in kg so that I can work out your BMI. But if we assume that you are overweight with a BMI exceeding 25, then there are various factors that could be preventing weight loss, namely: a) your energy intake exceeds 6300 kJ per day, despite the fact that you are eating sensible and health food; b) you may suffer from a hormone imbalance (underactive thyroid, or insulin resistance or polycystic ovarian syndrome if you are a woman) - to determine if this is the cause of your inability to lose weight you would need to have tests done by your gp; c) you may be developing muscle tissue as a result of the exercise and muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, so also keep track of your vital statistics to see if you are losing cm even if you are not yet losing kgs. If your weight is already in the normal range (BMI between 18 and 25) then your body may resist additional weight loss and it could take a long time for your metabolism to change.
Hope this helps