Question
Posted by: E | 2010-09-08

Dieting - Carbs + Protein

Someone told me that I should quit eating carbs and protein together, as the combination is not good and is also a cause of weight gain. I have never heard of this myself and would like to know if there is any truth in this.

Dear E
Because human beings are omnivores (we eat all types of food, not just protein like carnivores or plants like herbivores) our digestive system is designed to digest both carbohydrates and protein at the same time. I can, therefore, also not understand where this idea that eating carbs and proteins together will cause weight gain or be otherwise detrimental. Adding large quantities of fats (butter, margarine, cream, mayonnaise, fatty salad dressings, etc) to carbs can cause weight gain and should be avoided.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-09-09

Dear E