Posted by: gloria | 2009-07-02

dieting and breastfeeding

I' d like to know if its ok to go on a diet,am currently a lactating mom to a 3month old son.I added some pounds after having my baby and really need to burn them.Also what sort of diet plan is ideal for really desperate.

Dear Gloria
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! Because you are breastfeeding and this is the greatest gift you can give your baby which will have a positive influence on his or her health for the rest of his/her life and will even prevent the child from getting overweight, it is not a good idea to use any drastic diets or strenuous exercise regimens. You can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), just add another cup of fat-free milk or yoghurt to your daily intake to ensure that you and baby obtain all the calcium you require for good health. Combine this diet with moderate exercise such as going for a walk with baby in the pram or even better in a baby sling on your back for 30 min a day. This regimen should help you to start losing.
Enjoy the baby