Question
Posted by: Laurei | 2011/06/26

Dieting according to blood type

Dear doc, I have a 17 year old who is excessively overweight around her waist, hips and buttocks. She has terrible stretchmarks and after having a blood test, it was revealed that she has high cholestrol. She refuses to eat healthy only does so now and then. She loves cheese foods, noodles, lasagne, etc. I bought rye breads with low fat cottage cheese as well as silverside beef strips, stirfry etc. She will eat this for a while and go back to her old habits. I worry about her as she has devleoped a complex about her body but doesnt stop eating the greasy stuff. What can I do? She has been to a dietcian but does not stick to the meals as instructed. Would the food groups best associated with specific blood types really work for her?

Dear Laurei
I feel for you and your daughter, because it can be so difficult to motivate a teenager to change her eating habits. You have already consulted a dietitian, which is the correct thing to do if your daughter has high cholesterol at the age of 17 years and is excessively overweight in the abdominal area. I am personally not convinced that the "blood diets" are based on sound scientific principles and would rather urge you to take her back to the dietitian so that the dietitian can explain to her how risky her behaviour is. She needs to lose weight and lower her cholesterol and will only achieve these goals with the low-fat diet that the dietitian prescribed for her. She should also be doing some form of physical activity like going for walks because research has indicated that slimmers who exercise, stick to their diets more readily.
So please take her back to the dietitian for another consultation and encourage her to exercise every day.
Holding thumbs for both of you.

1

Dear Laurei
Holding thumbs for both of you.