Posted by: Suzie | 2013-02-19

Dietician specialising in gluten/wheat intolerance

Dear Dietdoc,

Do you perhaps know of any dieticians in Centurion/Pretoria that specialise in food allergies, especially gluten and wheat?

Or can you refer me to a directory of listed dieticians?

Dear Suzie
For ethical reasons I cannot refer you to see a specific dietitian, but if you visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area, you should be able to determine which dietitians work in Pretoria and/or Centurion. You can then phone the various practices and determine which dietitian specialises in food allergies, particularly gluten and wheat allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan, which contains recipes for baking too. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: . To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet and Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'.